Taoiseach has 'no intention of reopening tribunal'
on 27/02/2013 00:00:00
Mr Martin said newspaper reports of a phone conversation in which it is alleged that Mr Lowry referred to an apparent payment of up to £250,000 sterling, he made to Tyrone land agent Kevin Phelan, raised serious concerns.
Mr Kenny said he would not become involved because the Moriarty report had already been published, and once the Oireachtas sets up a tribunal of inquiry it has no further role in the matter: "I have no intention of reopening the Moriarty Tribunal or any other tribunal."
Mr Martin said the taped conversation reported in the Sunday Independent contained details that were "unhealthy and somewhat disturbing" and cast doubt over the veracity of the evidence given to the Moriarty Tribunal.
The Taoiseach told TDs that if individuals had any further evidence relating to the matter they should inform the authorities.
Mr Martin said Fianna Fáil senator Diarmuid Wilson had already forwarded material on Lowry to the tribunal chairman.
Mr Kenny also taunted Fianna Fáil by saying that the party had signed a "secret deal" with the former Fine Gael minister to prop up the last government.
Confirmation from Lowry that he paid up to £250,000 (€285,000) to the land agent contradicts evidence he supplied to the Moriarty Tribunal.
Mr Lowry told the tribunal he only ever agreed a £65,000 settlement - and that it related to Vineacre Ltd, an English property firm in which he had a 50% share. However, in a statement following the publication of transcripts from the taped conversation between Lowry and Mr Phelan, he gave a different version, saying that the transaction "was properly recorded and accounted for in the records and accounts of Garuda Limited".