Man, 82, escapes gas explosion with minor injury
on 26/01/2013 00:00:00
The explosion happened at Barrett's Terrace, off Gurranabraher Rd on the northside of Cork City, on Thursday night.
The man had gone out shopping and had returned to his house about 7.30pm. He sat in his armchair and lit his pipe, which gardaí believe sparked the gas explosion.
The explosion, which was heard some distance away, also blew the pensioner out into his back garden.
When the emergency services arrived, they found him dusting himself down.
Miraculously, the elderly man suffered only minor injuries.
He was taken to Cork University Hospital, where he was treated and detained for observation in case he had hit his head when he was blown out of the house.
"It was a massive explosion and there's no doubt that the man had a miraculous escape," said Supt Con Cadogan.
A number of tenders from the Cork City fire brigade attended the scene.
Bord Gáis employees also examined the house and were satisfied there was no leak.
Gardaí believe it is probable the man accidently left the gas on when he went out and that the explosion was caused when he returned home and lit up his pipe.