Car bomb kills 18 in Beirut suburb
on 16/08/2013 08:03:31
The blast, in a neighbourhood that is a stronghold of Hezbollah, is the second in just over a month to hit one of the Shiite militant group's bastions of support, and the deadliest in decades.
It raises the spectre of a sharply divided Lebanon being pulled further into the conflict next door, which is being fought on increasingly sectarian lines pitting Sunnis against Shiites.
The UN Security Council strongly condemned the terrorist attack, calling it a "heinous act". Council members stressed that terrorism "constitutes one of the most serious threats to international peace and security, and that any acts of terrorism are criminal and unjustifiable".
Outgoing Lebanese Prime Minister Najib Mikati has declared today a day of mourning for the victims of the attack.
Syria-based Sunni rebels and militant Islamist groups fighting to topple Syria's president Bashar Assad have threatened to target Hezbollah strongholds in Lebanon in retaliation for it intervening on behalf of his regime in the conflict.
Yesterday's explosion ripped through a crowded, overwhelmingly Shiite area tightly controlled by Hezbollah, turning streets lined with vegetable markets, bakeries and shops into scenes of destruction.
Dozens of ambulances rushed to the site of the explosion and firefighters used cranes and ladders to try to evacuate residents from burning buildings. Some fled to the rooftops and civil defence workers were still struggling to bring them down to safety several hours after the explosion.
The blast appeared to be an attempt to sow fear among the group's civilian supporters and did not target any known Hezbollah facility or figure.
Hezbollah's Al Manar TV and Red Cross official George Kattaneh said the death toll was at least 18 and more than 280 people were wounded.
The army said the explosion was caused by a car bomb. It called on residents to cooperate with security forces trying to evacuate people trapped in their homes.
Syria's conflict has spilled across the border into its neighbour on multiple occasions in the past two years. Fire from Syria has hit border villages, while clashes between Lebanese factions backing different sides have left scores dead.
But direct attacks against civilian targets were rare until Hezbollah stepped up its role in Syria. Since then, its support bases in southern Beirut have been targeted. Since May, rockets have been fired at suburbs controlled by the group on two occasions, wounding four people. On July 9, a car bomb exploded in the nearby Beir al-Abed district, wounding more than 50 people.
But this explosion was much deadlier and the bloodiest single attack in south Beirut since a 1985 truck bomb assassination attempt targeting top Shiite cleric Mohammed Hussein Fadlallah in Beir al-Abed left 80 people dead.
It came despite rigorous security measure taken in the past few weeks by Hezbollah around its strongholds, setting up checkpoints, searching cars and sometimes using sniffer dogs to search for bombs.
It also came a day before Hezbollah's leader was scheduled to give a major speech marking the end of the month-long 2006 war with Israel.
The explosion occurred on a commercial and residential main street in the Rweiss district, about 100 metres away from the Sayyed al-Shuhada complex where Hezbollah usually holds rallies.
Hezbollah leader Sheikh Hassan Nasrallah, who has lived in hiding since his group's 2006 month-long war with Israel, made a rare public appearance at the complex on August 2, where he addressed hundreds of supporters. He was to speak again today from a location in southern Lebanon, but his speeches by satellite are often transmitted to followers at the complex.
A previously unheard-of group calling itself Aisha the Mother of Believers Brigades claimed responsibility for the attack in a video posted on YouTube, saying it is the second "message" they have sent since last month's blast in the area. The authenticity of the claim could not be independently verified.
"Our second message was strong and astounding," said a masked man who read the statement, flanked by two other armed and masked men. He called on civilians to stay away from Hezbollah strongholds in the future, saying the militant group is "an agent for Iran and Israel".