Sailors trapped in sunken Indian submarine
on 14/08/2013 08:17:38
Other sailors are working frantically to save them.
The diesel-powered submarine sank early this morning at its home port in Mumbai.
The fire is out but the official said the sailors have not been recovered. India's defence minister AK Antony confirmed a number of people died in the incident, but provided no further details.
An officer said that when the blast occurred, some sailors of other nearby units jumped into the sea in panic. He said some were injured and taken to hospital.
Navy spokesman Narendra Vispute said efforts are being made to determine the safety of the personnel and salvage the submarine.
Indian news channel NDTV said a loud explosion was heard and a huge flame leapt into the sky. Nearly a dozen fire engines rushed to the dockyard to tackle the fire.
Afterwards, the sub was left nearly submerged at its berth in the naval dockyard.
Mr Vispute said the cause of the explosion is being investigated. Further details were not available.
The 16-year-old Russian-made submarine, INS Sindhurakshak, had recently returned from Russia after undergoing an overhaul and upgrade, said Rahul Bedi, an analyst for the independent Jane's Information Group.
India has 14 diesel-powered submarines, he said.
Last year, India acquired a Russian Nerpa nuclear submarine for its navy on a 10-year lease from Russia. India has also designed and built its own nuclear submarine; the navy activated the atomic reactor on that vessel on Saturday and could deploy it in the next two years.