Orange Order withdraws Ardoyne march application
on 07/09/2012 16:33:53
The Order said it was "quietly addressing issues in relation to peaceful protests" with the Parades Commission.
Recent riots in North Belfast have seen clashes between loyalists and nationalists, with scores of police officers injured.
SDLP Assembly member for North Belfast Alban Maginness welcomed the Orange Order's change of mind about the planned route for the rally, especially in the context of trouble last week when a loyalist band defied a ruling not to march past a Catholic church.
The Young Conway Volunteers had been banned from parading past St Patrick's Church on Donegall Street, Belfast, after being filmed playing an allegedly sectarian song at the spot during July 12 demonstrations. The ban was defied, sparking clashes in which seven police officers were injured.
Mr Maginness said today's withdrawal of the Orange Order application "provides yet another context in which we can work towards a solution in relation to Donegall St and St Patrick's Church."